Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A Proposal

I know this is sudden. I know we haven’t been together a long time. But I know, I just KNOW, this is right. When I hold you, I feel like I can see deep inside you. Read your thoughts. And you know what? They’re just like mine. We think so much alike, it’s scary sometimes. But it’s just further proof that this was meant to be.

You know, the first time I saw you, you were with another guy. Telling him everything he wanted to hear but still maintaining the air of mystery that ultimately drew me to you. In the end, I know I stole you from him. You can blame yourself all you want, but I know in my heart that I am the reason he left you. And if he wanted you that badly, he wouldn’t have left you alone at the bar for me to pick you up. Do you remember what I asked you that first time?

“Is he coming back?”

“Don’t count on it,” you answered.

Something about your confident tone and blunt manner almost knocked me off my feet. From that moment you had me in your pocket. And somehow, despite the din of the bar, every word you said came through with a clarity and foresight that was refreshing. Not at all like the others. And there have definitely been others. Certainly one for every day of the week. But I shouldn’t go on about that because none of them matter.

Back at the bar, my voice straining over the music, “Do you want to get out of here?” I looked at you expectantly. My mind sliding across your potential responses, clinging to the one I so desperately wanted.

“Yes – definitely.”

True to form, you didn’t mince words, and your answer gave my heart a jolt.

And that was the moment I knew you were the one. You shook me from the very beginning, changing my perception of what true love was all about. So that’s why I brought you here, to where it all began. You sitting at the bar, me standing, gazing down at you. Magic 8 Ball, will you marry me?

No comments: